Research Unit System
The Research Unit is a flexible research group established for a limited period for a specific purpose in line with Tokyo Tech research strategy. It is organized to promote research in response to a future need and exploratory research with future potential carried out under the direction of an individual research unit leader with the goal of contributing to the achievement of Institute of Innovative Research targets.
Establishment requires that all the requirements shown below be satisfied:
- The Research Unit has set a clear purpose.
- The Research Unit has a leader capable of directing the Research Unit to achieve the purpose described in above requirement 1.
- Research Unit operation is funded by external resources.
- The leader or core researcher belongs to or is eligible belong to the Institute of Innovative Research.
- The period of the Research Unit’s project is within five years.
Establishment of a Research Unit
The Research Unit is established upon successful application by the Executive Vice President for Research (top-down) or by a researcher wishing to participate in the Research Unit (bottom-up).
The following is an explanation of the flow of the Research Unit establishment by researchers (bottom-up).
1. Submission of the application to the Director-General of the Institute of Innovative Research in the name of the principle researcher and the Dean or Director of the relevant department*.
Please consult with faculty specializing in the relevant field before submitting the application.Submit the
Application for the Research Unitto the Institute of Innovative Research Administration Division, Institute of Innovative Research Administration Group 2(iir.adm2[at]jim.titech.ac.jp).
Please consult with the Institute of Innovative Research Administration Division, Institute of Innovative Research Administration Group 2 (iir.adm2[at]jim.titech.ac.jp) six months prior to the desired date of establishment.
* If the faculty member applying for the Research Unit belongs to the Institute of Innovative Research, it is not necessary to include the name of the relevant researcher’s department director.
*Note: Please replace [at] with @ when you send an email to us.
2. The Director-General of the Institute of Innovative Research consults with the Executive Vice President for Research.
We ask the Strategic Management Council to discuss the Research Unit, research seeds and human resource utilization, and the level of demand.
3. Screening by Representatives of the Institute of Innovative Research
4. The Director-General of the Institute of Innovative Research applies to the President.
5. President grants or denies approval for the establishment of the relevant Research Unit after conducting hearings with the individuals involved in the establishment of the relevant Research Unit.
Hearings are conducted by the Personnel Committee to approve or reject establishment of the Research Unit and determine and the content of support* by Tokyo Tech. In the case that the Research Unit is approved, it is reported to the Executive Committee and the Education and Research Council.
*There are two types of support: support for facilities (with limits) and preparation expenses for establishment of the Research Unit (only if necessary).
Check here for more details about establishment of the Research Unit.
*Only in Japanease