FY 2021 Program for Translation and Editing of Research Grant Proposals
To expand Tokyo Tech researchers' access to funding opportunities, the Office of Research and Innovation has implemented the Program for Translation and Editing of Research Grant Proposals. Researchers can apply to use this program to cover the cost of language translation or editing of their grant proposals.
Furthermore, starting this year, editing costs for proposals to Grants-in-Aid for Scientific Research (KAKENHI) and similar programs can also be supported for researchers who are applying in their non-native language.
Proposals for consideration of support should meet the following criteria.
For Translation Requests:
- Proposals for funding opportunities which are provided only in Japanese, only in English, or which require a combination of Japanese and English. Examples of supported funding opportunities include:
- Grants from private foundations
- Grants from corporations
- Joint grants between Japan and foreign government agencies
- Government agency grants provided only in Japanese or only in English
For editing requests:
- Proposals which are written in the applicant’s non-native language (Japanese or English). Examples of supported funding opportunities include:
- Grants-in-Aid for Scientific Research (KAKENHI)
- JST Strategic Basic Research Programs
For all requests:
- Proposals for research to be conducted by the applicant under the affiliation of Tokyo Institute of Technology.
- Proposals that can be submitted to the Office of Research and Innovation at least 20 days before the proposal deadline (or by January 28, 2022 for proposal deadlines on or after February 18, 2022).
Supported Proposal Content
The program will cover translation or editing of proposal content prepared by the applicant, such as project summaries, project narratives, budget plans, etc. Content not prepared by the applicant, such as fund announcements and application guidelines, are not supported. Additional requests after application (proposal revisions, post-award reports, etc.) will not be supported.
To be eligible for program support, the applicant must be an investigator on the proposal and hold one of the following positions at Tokyo Tech:
Research staff, assistant professor, specially appointed assistant professor, lecturer (excluding part-time lecturer), specially appointed lecturer, associate professor, specially appointed associate professor, professor, or specially appointed professor. (Students are ineligible.)
In principle, eligible applications will be pre-approved on a first-come, first-served basis. However, should we receive a larger number of applications than expected, a screening will be performed that prioritizes early-career researchers (based on year of completion of final degree).
Number of Supported Proposals
10 proposals (estimated)
Using the form below, submit an application for pre-approval to the Office of Research and Innovation. If pre-approved, you will be asked to submit your proposal for translation or editing at least 20 days before the proposal deadline (or by January 28, 2022 for proposal deadlines on or after February 18, 2022).
Registration is closed.
April 26, 2021 to January 7, 2022, or earlier if all allocated funds are expended.
- By submitting your proposal to this program, you agree to respond to future follow-up inquiries by the Office of Research and Innovation on the status of the grant application.
- If your proposal is supported by this program but is not submitted to the funding organization, you may be requested to reimburse the Office of Research and Innovation for the amount paid.
- If your proposal is successful, you may be asked by the Office of Research and Innovation for permission to share the proposal with future applicants from Tokyo Tech for reference purposes. Your cooperation in this effort would be appreciated.